Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Claire Danes Effect


For a moment I thought I saw Claire Danes come out of a Rover. Thank goodness it wasn’t. I would’ve given her the bird. I hate that bitch (sorry Homeland fans). It was for comments she made some time ago which I couldn’t quite get over still (not that it was anything remotely personal but it’s her fault for taking my bitterness away from Tommy Hilfiger). Must not let it ruin the evening though. It’s Friday and it’s the Sunset strip. The Bentleys, the girls on Jimmy Choos, the crowded clubs. Can’t get any more Hollywood than that. It’s been years since the road led me to this side of the town and it was nice to start the weekend outside of Orange County.

I wasn’t sure how the evening would turn out. It was one of those not-entirely-certain-what-to-expect kinda nights and my friend and I just wanted to get away. Our destination was Hollywood, Chateau Marmont to be exact. Already the place sounded great and immediately I felt a gush of adrenaline as I remember a good friend who works there (can someone say a free round of drinks please?? LOL). The drive was smooth and the Los Angeles skyline by night, despite the criticism, is still breathtaking. As we stroll along Hollywood Blvd, we were just entertained by our catch-up stories, Snow Patrol and the mere oddity of the street scenery. So occupied that we realized we were at Laurel Canyon already and nowhere near our destination (we’ve always wondered where Hollywood Blvd ends and now we know). After a couple of maneuvering in what seemingly are narrow and narrower streets, we managed to arrive to our watering hole.

We found a parking space just a block from the bar. Strange that it was empty except for a Lincoln Navigator, a minivan and a Corolla near the entrance where a man also standing was half-looking at us and half-busy with his phone. The lot was poorly lit and considering where we at and how few the cars parked in it, something just didn’t feel right. Suddenly from the corner, in what I initially thought was a heap of garbage, emerged a hobo. And that was good enough reason to skedaddle quickly. I drove around a bit to look for a different spot, in futile, so valet seems to be the only solution to our woes. However, it was imperative that we do self-parking as my ever-prepared friend has two tequila-filled plastic bottles in her purse. Obviously, we can’t walk in the streets holding those around. We managed to find our parking spot and the prelude to our evening was already taking place.

We enter Le Bar Marmount, buzzed. T’was very dim, a little crowded and the waitresses clad in red dresses with hoe-like stockings. We managed to slither into the darkness and found ourselves a small couch near the bar sans the table. Tequila shot for the lady, Jack and ginger ale for me. I knew we’re in for a pricy night but two casual drinks for $40?? Kinda stings! Realizing that my sous chef friend no longer works there, there’s no way the tab’s gonna make this any fun. We were one and done. We down our drinks and was about to pay the bill, until my crazy friend told us to just ditch. Are you freakin’ serious?? (suddenly a blast from the past circa 1995—the Silhouette Tower, me and my buddies plundering a big ass picture frame out of the wall hahaha).  What the heck right? And so we stood up, power-walked to the exit and into the boulevard, smiles in our faces, huge ones.  The less alluring Pink Taco bar just right across looked like a place to end and celebrate the impetuous undertaking. Tequila shot for the lady, Bud Light for me and tacos for both of us. Tab nowhere near $40. My friend goes to the rest room while I take a handle of the Marmont incident that just happened a few minutes ago. Guess who decided to drive by Sunset Blvd in front of Pink Taco?? Claire f’in Danes!!! Shakin’ my head. Just shakin’ my freakin’ head…

No comments:

Post a Comment