Friday, October 25, 2013

ASMR 10.25.13

Pick of the Week:
Rough Water by Travie McCoy feat Jason Mraz (released 09.09.13)

Might Interest You Pick(s): -- gotta few here...
Future Days by Pearl Jam (released 10.15.13)
Dark Horse by Katy Perry feat Juicy J (released 10.22.13)
When You Were Young [Calvin Harris Remix] by The Killers (not yet released)

Retro Pick:
Burning Flame by Vitamin Z (released 1985)

The witty Travie McCoy (who always seems to know whom to collaborate with for a hit -- Billionaire?? Bruno Mars??) now has Jason Mraz by his side for a catchy pop song called Rough Water. I don't think it's Billboard #1 material (coz a month after it's release would've been enough to know that) but it's still a jam song I would love to hear on my iPod (yes iPod, it still lives!) Besides, the line "I'll be the Leonardo DiCaprio to your Kate Winslet" just did it for me LOL!

After watching Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night and once again seeing Eddie Vedder busting the chords, chills immediately went down thru my spine and I felt transported back in the not-so distant past when Matt Dillon sported the long 'do and Doc Martens were the kicks that mattered. Although the carrier single Sirens is awesome itself, there is nothing more Pearl Jam (Vedderesque) than Future Days. I was instantly reminded of how Pearl Jam tapped the inner rock and alternative animal in me and now I have to add watching them live to my bucket list...

Aaah! Katy Perry! Her songs are lively and she will rake in music award after music award until they find the next teen sensation in The Voice. And though I'm not really a big fan of her music (except The One That Got Away) I love Katy because of her big round.. ehem.. eyes! The woman is drop dead gorgeous. She has the curves, the big blue saucer-wide eyes and yeah, she can sing. I chose Dark Horse instead of Roar as my pick because the latter still reminds me of how Katy stole that song from Sara Bareilles' single Brave, at least in my opinion.

Just a real quick remark regarding Calvin Harris's take on the single When You Were Young. It's alright. I'm not a big fan of most if not all the remixes The Killers allowed DJs to work on their hits. Don't get me wrong, I like Calvin Harris, David Guetta and all those EDM jocks who turns already poppy songs even poppier :)  It's just that I don't like it mixed with my favorite alternative or rock music. Nevertheless, I still recommend you check it out on YouTube since the release of my most favorite band's Direct Hits album is not until November 11.

And as I adieu this write-up, yet again a classic hip single from one hit-wonder band Vitamin Z. Admit it, we all loved it back then. We even heard stories of fans buying the record in drugstores (Vitamin Z, duh?) instead of music shops. It was the jam and who could ever forget the synthesizer guitar intro of the song! "And all along on my trip to nowhere. You annoyed me with your foolish games..." Now sing along...

No comments:

Post a Comment